Thursday, November 10, 2011

Motorola Motoactv - Garmin/Apple eliminator?

While enjoying my morning coffee at Yeti's Grind I was filtering through emails and social networking sites in an attempt to find some sort of basis for a blog post that didn't pertain to sex scandals, doping scandals, or any negativity in general. Sadly, it's a tough find these days.

Anyways, while checking out REI's marketing email about some "new" 3-in-1 winter coats, I found an interesting device from Motorola at the bottom. Below is the new Motorola Motoactv, all in one GPS/fitness trainer/audio stimulator device. Check out the details here: https://motoactv.com/


At first sight I thought, wow this really looks like an iPod Nano knockoff. But after digging into their website further I found out that Motorola really put some work into creating this product. Just slightly larger than a Nano, it features a tough screen interface with a ton of features. To start, the GPS functionality. Similar to a Garmin Forerunner, this device tracks your runs, rides, etc. and easily uploads to review your data via Motorola's fitness software. (Compatible with Win/Mac OS's) Taking it a step further is a built in Accelerometer which allows the device to sense forward movement even on a stationary treadmill to count your steps and distance traveled.

Next is the audio interface. It grabs your local FM radio signal as well as allowing you to upload your favorite workout playlists from a variety of sources including, you guessed it: iTunes. Interesting... My initial thought was, how could Apple allow this? Not only the design of the Motoactv looks like a Nano, it even plays music like a Nano. Anyways, Motorola decided to integrate your music preferences with your fitness workout to push you to the next level. The device will take into account your performance throughout a variety of songs and determine a "power performance" playlist comprised of the songs that you perform best to. Also included is a fitness coach that can tell you when you need to pick up the pace. Two models are offered in 8GB and 16GB at $249 and $299 respectively.

For all you runners and cyclists who rely on ANT+ technology to pair all your accessories, this device has that too! Heart Rate, Speed and Cadence, to headphones, the Motoactv can easily connect to each of these. Better yet, ditch the heart rate strap and opt for the Motorola headphones that grab HR data from pulses in your ears to reduce the number of attachments on your body.



Finally, the options on where to mount this device are endless. The Motoactv offers multiple accessories from a watch style wrist band, arm mounted fitness band, and even a handlebar mount for cyclists.

Now I own an iPod as well as a Garmin Edge 500 and love both devices. They work and serve both of their intended purposes to absolute perfection. My Garmin is very cycling specific and provides me with a ton of data fields that I can use to monitor and improve my performance but what I find is that I never ride with music because I don't like having all these devices and wires attached to me. The Motoactv could be the answer to an all-in-one fitness/entertainment device. It debuted at the NYC Marathon but other than my REI email, I had not heard about it until today.

Now to be straight, I do not own this device nor do I have any affiliation with Motorola. Just happened to stumble upon this and thought it looked like a pretty sweet new piece of equipment to blow my money on. Like I said, I own a Garmin and it has yet to fail me and my iPod, well it obviously works with my heavily dominated AAC Protected iTunes music library. While this new device looks great on the web, I cannot attest to the actual offerings and compatibility with the advertised accessories. ANT+ capability yes, but will I be able to see Garmin speed and sensor data? CycleOps power data? Who knows.

At first glance, the device looks to be tailored to runners but the potential for use as a cycling tool hints at a bright future. Hopefully the future will allow for a real-world test of this device. Until then, I'll stick with my Garmin.

TMP

No comments:

Post a Comment