Thursday, March 3, 2011

Winter riding in Fruita...

Well, I can say that despite getting some record snowfall in Vail and Beaver Creek, we have had some pretty awesome weather just west of the resorts. Mild temps have allowed me to get out and ride the road bike a bit. Went out one afternoon down to Dotsero until I got a flat on the way back. Just so happens at that time the sun decides to duck behind the clouds and the temp starts falling. Unfortunately I did not have a spare tube with me so I had to call someone to pick me up. Lesson learned - Don't ride off with a tire that already has a patch holding the sidewall together.

Sports Garage and Bach Builders hosted a movie night in Boulder last weekend. It was a great evening with a little food and drink before hand, then we got to watch the "Ride the Divide" film in the "garage" at the bike shop. One of our team sponsors Infinit Nutrition was in the house talking about race fuel and endurance riding. Thank you to them for supporting us and handing out some free samples as well. For those of you that don't know about Infinit, check them out. They are the official liquid supplier of the Boulder based Garmin-Cervelo pro road team as well as a direct sponsor of Bach Builders rider Josh Tostado - our current 24 Solo National Champion and 6 time Breckenridge 100 winner. Josh was also in the house meeting attendees and answering endurance racing questions. I got some good feedback and information from him for my upcoming season, and I am really looking forward to training and racing with him this year.

This past Tuesday I decided to take a day off of work and take advantage of some late winter sun in Fruita. Forecast was a high of 56 degrees, perfect for the Western Colorado desert as the sun gave me a 67 degree temp all day long. It was time to get me some good base miles started on the mountain bike so I was able to meet up with Karen Jarchow (who was just given her formal acceptance onto the Honey Stinger "Hive" grassroots team). We started off with a fast paced lap of Rustler's Loop, and after 5 minutes we were already grinning from ear to ear! Loma's fast and swooping singletrack never gets old and the trails were running dry to our surprise. After Rustler's we headed up Mary's to take a lap around Horse Thief loop. Other than the usual wet spots through the hike-a-bike section of HT, everything was running dry as well. By the time we climbed up and out of Horse Thief Bench I decided it was time to stop by the car and get some sunblock on, Yes, in March! Grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed back out to run a Mary's Loop then we ducked down into Steve's loop for some scenic Colorado River Rim riding. By 4:30 we were pretty spent and decided to call it a day. 32 miles of riding on March 1st, less than 2 hours from home was more than I could ask for.

My Dogma membership finishes up this month so I will be taking full advantage of Curt Nash's circuit training classes and Jake Wells' interval sessions. I can feel the Spring air right around the corner so we will be riding in no time! Coming up will be my revised race schedule as several races have changed.

TMP

No comments:

Post a Comment