Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Race Whip - 2011 Yeti ASR-C Race

To say that I have tried a variety of bikes since I moved out to Colorado would be an understatement. Over the past 4 years I have owned a Trek 6500 hardtail, a Specialized Stuntjumper FSR, a Gary Fisher Pro Carbon, a Rocky Mountain Element 70, a Turner Flux and 5 Spot, finally moving onto a 2009 Yeti ASR Alloy. You win some, you lose some when rotating through a bunch of bikes like this but luckily since the Rocky Mountain, it was just a frame swap each time.

The Yeti ASR was the first bike that truly fit my preferred body geometry and riding style. Yeti's traditionally have a slightly longer top tube length while still dropping their head tube and seat tube angles to give it some very confident descending capabilities. I used the ASR all last season and it was fantastic. I rode my best season to date and the bike held up through everything I threw at it. However, the carbon rear triangle was a bit flexy even at my lightweight. The thin seat stays could easily be flexed back and forth by simply applying some pressure to the wheels with your arm. It was time again for something new...

I went down to see Mike at Venture Sports in Avon to see what options we had. Yeti Cycles had just released a 2010 completely redesigned ASR Carbon earlier in the year, that featured massive tubing all-around. the rear triangle this time was a giant one-piece mold that stiffened the whole frame up. They also added a 15QR front axle mated to a 12x142mm rear thru-axle to create one of the stiffest 4 inch travel XC rig's you could find. I knew that I had to have it. Luckily for me, by late August Yeti was already shipping their 2011 models with the new Shimano XT 10 speed group and 2011 Fox Shox.

Over the course of the winter I have invested a few more dollars into the bike to get it "race" ready, as if it wasn't right out of the box. Through some of our various sponsors with Bach Builders I swapped out the wheelset, tires, and added some sweet new Ergon grips. The bike now weighs in at 22.9lbs with pedals and the ride is incredible. I have never ridden a bike that fits me so well and handles with such finesse whether you are climbing a loose and rocky 20% grade or descending some fast and technical singletrack.

Thank you to Mike at Venture Sports and Yeti Cycles for their continued support through the grassroots racing program! Stop by and see Mike if you want to get on a Yeti...



Frame: 2010 Yeti ASR-C full carbon with integrated seatmast, Chris King headset, press-in BB

Suspension: 2011 Fox FIT F100 RLC 15QR Fork, Fox RP23 rear shock with Boost Valve

Drivetrain: 2011 Shimano XT Dyna-sys 10 speed group (Crank 24-32-42, cassette 11-36)

Cockpit: 2011 Easton EC70 handlebars, EA90 stem, Ergon GX2 Carbon team series grips, WTB Silverado Saddle, Crank Brothers Eggbeater TI pedals

Stoppers: 2010 Shimano XTR disc brakes, Formula R1 rotors

Rollers: Stan's NoTubes Crest rims, DT Swiss 1.5/2.0 spokes, Stan's ZTR Hubs (15QR front, 12x142mm rear), Specialized S-Works FAST TRAK LK 2bliss tires 2.0










If you haven't tried a set of Ergon grips yet, you need to get out and see what you are missing. Ergon International makes a wide variety of grips, backpacks, cleat tools, and soon to be released gloves that are all designed with one thing in mind - COMFORT. I tried a set of grips last year and was skeptical at first. While the climbs were fine, I didn't feel as confident on the descents with such a large grip beneath my hands. While the Ergon grips do take some getting used to, you'll find that they have a variety of shapes and sizes in their grips. The GX2 grips pictured above are one of the smallest and now that I have these, I have seen a dramatic improvement in hand comfort on my rides. The added carbon barend also gives the rider a variety of hand positions on the bike so you never end up with too much pressure on one section of your hand. I can honestly say now that I can't imagine going back to regular grips again. The soon to be released gloves will also be matched to specific grip sets, designed specifically to maximize the ergonomic comfort on the bike. You can purchase any of their products at your local bike shops, outdoor stores or here: ERGON ONLINE

Thanks again to Ergon International for your support! 
Bach Builders MTB Race team is an official Ergon Factory Rider Team

First race is coming up quick on April 30th in Prescott, AZ. The Whiskey Off-Road, 50 miles of fast, fun singletrack in the desert! Race report to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment